I’ve recently been shopping The Surgeon around to publishers and I’ve compiled a little chart of different submission requirements at different publishing houses.
Having worked slush piles at different (non-comix) publishing companies, I can’t stress enough how important it is to follow the guidelines as closely as you can.
Here’s a google doc. Anyone with the link can view it and make comments, so if you see something there that needs to be edited, added, etc., just mark it up and I’ll take care of it for you.
I hope this is useful to somebody.
In general, be ready with:
- a good cover letter
- a one-page synopsis of your whole story
- a five-page synopsis of the whole story in more detail
- as much script as you have
- finished, lettered art, at least 6 pp.
- a tight little logline
- paragraph-long bios for everyone on the team
- freakin’ tons and tons and tons of signed submission agreements
Most guidelines are just variations of those ingredients. Happy hunting.